Membership is available to working professional pilots who
- Are a member of the Australian Federation of Air Pilots (AFAP)
- Are a citizen or a resident of Australia
- Derive their principal source of income from flying
- Hold a current Australian Class 1 Medical Certificate; and
- Are aged less than 50 years of age
Apart from the fact that accidents or illness can derail your flying career at any age - joining before age 40 qualifies you for the highest protection at the lowest cost.
Select the maximum Standard Capital Benefit before the age of 40 and you'll qualify for lower contribution rates, every year, for the life of your membership. Wait until after 40, and you'll pay significantly more.
Joining the MBF is simple and straightforward. Firstly, we recommend you read the Product Disclosure Statement to make sure this product is right for you. Then complete and submit the online application.
BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR LOSS OF LICENCE ALLOWANCE
As part of the Air Pilots Award 2010 or your Company’s Enterprise Agreement, you are likely to be entitled to a contribution for your loss of licence protection from your employer. Often it's enough to cover a large part or even all of the cost of membership. If you’re unsure of what you should receive from your Company, contact our friendly membership team.
After you have applied, you will hear from our membership team confirming your provisional cover. Once your application is reviewed at the next MBF monthly Board Meeting, you will recieve full MBF membership.
Your level of cover, the benefits attributed to you and your annual contribution rate are based on:
- The age at which you first join
- Whether you add the optional $200,000 Premium Capital Benefit
- The amount your employers loss of licence allowance
- Your annual base salary
Find out your loss of licence protection level and how much your MBF annual contribution will be, simply enter your details in our calculator tool.