- What happens if I have not met my required Contributions payments?
Rule 5 (Contributions to the Fund), Rule 12 (Cessation of Membership)
When paying in full, Annual Contributions are due and payable on the 1st day of May each year. Members who fail to pay their Contributions by May 31st shall be deemed to have allowed their membership to have lapsed and shall not be entitled to any benefit.
- Can I still be a member when unemployed from Piloting?
Rule 12 (Cessation of Membership), Rule 2 (Eligibility)
You must advise MBF Membership when you change your employment status.
A member may remain in the Fund for a period of three years while unemployed.
Following this three year period, if they have not gained employment as a pilot the member must resign from the Fund.
Providing they meet the criteria, a resigned member may be eligible to return to the Fund should they regain piloting employment.
An unemployed member must continue to hold a current Class 1 Medical Certificate and remain a member of AFAP.
- Do I need to maintain a Class 1 Medical Certificate?
Rule 2 (Eligibility)
You must hold a valid Class 1 Medical Certificate to remain a member, regardless of your current employment status.
Members are able to operate on an Overseas Medical Certificate, however all benefit claims are based on the failure of the Australian Class 1 Medical Certificate standards.
A valid commercial pilot’s licence is also required by those who are employed and either actively piloting or stood down (so that they are ready, willing and able to resume piloting activities).
- If I gain employment air piloting one day a week, does that meet MBF membership requirements for income?
If that is your principal source of income, yes.
- What happens if my employer does not pay my loss of licence allowance directly to MBF?
Rule 5 (Contributions to the Fund)
Members are responsible for payment of their membership contributions.
If the employer does not pay on the member’s behalf, the member will be required to make payment and then pursue reimbursement from their employer.
- Can I put my cover on ‘hold’ until I return to piloting?
Rule 2 (Eligibility)
No – there is no provision to place your MBF membership on ‘hold’.
There are options for you to voluntarily resign as a Member and return later, but you need to consider the terms and conditions of the Rules in respect of applying for or returning as a Member of the Fund.
- What are my payment options?
- Bank Transfer
- Credit Card (VISA/Mastercard only)
- Combination of Bulk billed Employer Allowance/Out of Pocket Member payment by VISA/MasterCard.
- If paying your Annual Contributions by 12 monthly instalments, your VISA/MasterCard payment is processed on the first business day of each month. Members who have not paid by the last day of each month shall be deemed to have allowed their membership to have lapsed and shall not be entitled to any benefit. Membership will automatically cease.
- There are no other fees and charges applied by the MBF when paying by credit card.
- Will MBF cover me if I am injured while working in an occupation other than piloting?
Rule 6 (b)
If you have an accident or illness as a result of your non piloting employment, you must notify your employer and seek Work Cover through your employer. If you are unsuccessful in your Work Cover claim you may be eligible to make a claim on the MBF in accordance with the terms and conditions of Fund membership.
- Who is eligible to apply for a Refund of Contributions?
Rule 5 (Contributions to the Fund), Rule 2 (Reinstatement), Rule 12 (Cessation of Membership)
Members who are resigning from the Fund after 20 years of membership or 25 years in the case of a reinstated Member.
Members who have reached the age of 65 years.
The maximum amount of potential refund is limited to $65,000.
Payments are based on Standard Capital Benefit Contributions minus any monthly benefits paid and excludes GST.
Please contact MBF Membership to apply.
- Do I have to remain a member with AFAP once I become a member of AAPMBF?
Rule 2 (Eligibility)
To maintain membership and to be eligible to apply for Disability Benefits and/or a Capital Payment you must be a financial member of AFAP (not an Associate Member).
- How do I notify MBF of a change of my employer?
Please contact MBF Membership by emailing email@example.com or phone: 03 9928 4500.
Note that Members are unable to change/update their Employer details via MyPage.
- What do I have to do if I want to resign as a member of the Fund?
Complete the MBF Voluntary Resignation Notification form found in ‘Member Documents’ in MyPage.
Please refer to FAQ 6 and consider the eligibility requirements if you are considering returning to the Fund.
- What will my Contributions cost?
Please refer to the current Contributions and Benefits Scale.
Contribution costs are based on a sliding scale depending on the level of Standard Capital Benefit the Member holds, the Member’s age at joining the MBF and the Member’s current age.
For some examples on how the Contributions and Benefits Scale works, please click the image below:
- How do I know how much cover I hold?
Please log into your MyPage member profile and click ‘Certificate of Membership’ button.
- Am I covered if I contract Coronavirus, or have an allergic reaction to the vaccine?
Loss of Licence Cover is not excluded for members whose Class 1 Medical Certificate has been affected due to having contracted the Virus, or have had an allergic reaction to the vaccine.